Saturday, November 23, 2013

Cooking on The Road

 Hi all,

Got another product review for ya.

Mind you I do not get paid for this I just want to share some valuable information with you to help you eat and stay healthy (and keep more of your paycheck in your pocket) while doing the work that makes this nation great.

I am of course hoping that you will decide to check out the book I wrote, "So You Want To Be A TruckDriver?" and buy it for someone you know that's thinking about joining us out here. My book is not the run of the mill book of this type and you can preview a bit of it at the link above, or on Amazon (available on Kindel also).

Okay, so back to business.

In the photo above you see the Rival, 2 quart crock pot. This is my second one, the first one disappeared between jobs, gotta be around the house but just can't find it. And that's part of what makes this little gem so awesome, that's the price, right about ten bucks at most Wall Marts. Lose it or break it and it's very affordable to replace.

Another wonderful thing about this little guy is that you can operate it on a 300 watt inverter which these days runs between 20 to 30.00 dollars at the truck stops. On high, it uses about 80 watts of power.

Within a few meals it will pay for it's self. The black bean chili that is in the photo below makes three 1 cup servings, about three meals. The ingredients for the chilli cost me right about $3.00, or about $1.00 a serving. try to beat that at the truck stop! Add a can of veggies, some tossed green salad and a piece of fruit and you have a full course meal thats very filling, low in calories and under four bucks.

There is only one draw back to this product and that is that the lid does not lock down, so if your going to cook a meal while driving better find some way to secure the lid. I don't cook in it while driving, I usually start cooking before going to bed so it's done or near done when I get up.

Chilli is one of the many things I have cooked in it. I have cooked sweet potatoes, potatoes, squash, stew, chicken thighs and breast, and sausage.

I would be remiss if I didn't include my recipe for my delicious black bean chili, so here it is.

Throw into the crock pot in this order:
1 cup uncooked black beans
1 can stewed chop tomatoes
1 to 1/1/2 lbs of meat (chopped steak or roast or hamburger, I sometimes use turkey sausage
1 package of chili seasonings (I use Great Value from Wall Mart)
Onion and Jalapeno peppers in any amount you want
and about 2 cups of water.

Mix, put on high and forget it for 8 to 10 hours or until the beans are as done as you like.

That's it. Enjoy.

I also have a web site that you can check out at http://augerles.wix.com/be-a-truck-driver

No comments:

Post a Comment